Amazing what one nice day can do for your spirits. I’ve almost crawled out of my holidaytime funk. Here’s how.
- Grounded David from his phone, which resulted in a tenfold improvement in attitude.
- After fighting over who should get more dominoes, Cameron, Justin and Alex settled down for a quiet and pleasant game of HeadBanz game in Justin and Alex’s room.
- Cameron challenged me to a drawing contest while we waited for pizza.
- Justin spent the afternoon at his best friend, Karlie’s house, and by the time he came home he was too exhausted to be difficult.
- Since everyone was behaving, Barry got to take a nap, which made him much easier to live with.
- And to cleanse my palate after writing yesterday’s post about atrocious seasonal music, I attended my friend’s choral concert and listened to angelic voices singing about the real meaning of Christmas through classical hymns and carols. Handel, Britten, Biebl.
- One glass of pinot grigio. Amazing what a nice effect that has.
- Time out with good friends, no phone calls from home the entire duration.
- Lying in bed with Alex, touching his face as he fell asleep while we listened to The Coventry Carol and Still, Still, Still on my iPhone.
I think the music made the biggest difference. Tomorrow may be an all classical day. For the first time in weeks I feel relaxed. Quick plug for Exultate Chamber Choir & Orchestra. Best kept secret in the Twin Cities. As talented and polished as a professional group in an intimate setting for half the price and half the hassle. Pick up one of their CDs for Christmas, you won’t be disappointed.
© Jennifer Alys Windholz, 2011